Work Opportunities & Research

Off-Campus Educational/Work Opportunities

Please contact the office for an approval form if you wish to study off campus for an academic semester. It must be signed by the Chief Undergraduate Advisor. You also should consult with an advisor before making such a decision.

Study Abroad

Most Study Abroad opportunities for the College of Engineering (COE) are handled by its International Programs in Engineering (IPENG) office located on the second floor of Engineering Hall. Please visit the IPENG website to learn more about program opportunities. The Campus Study Abroad Office lists campus-wide opportunities, including IPENG programs.

To get a course or courses approved for credit ...

For Technical courses

Review the courses that would be offered at the other institution. Select courses you feel would be appropriate for degree credit and indicate the corresponding Illinois course number. Fill out the course planning form from the Study Abroad Office with this information and submit the form along with the corresponding detailed course information for each international course to the Bioengineering undergraduate program office (1270 DCL), for review. Typically the course information from the university's website is sufficient, but if further detail is needed (e.g., a syllabus, etc.), you will be notified after the review. Once the courses are reviewed, the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee will make the determination regarding what credit will be given and will complete the Study Abroad course planning form.

For Gen Ed/Social Sciences/Humanities courses

The International Programs in Engineering (IPENG) office makes the determination on credit for General Education, Social Sciences, or Humanities courses. Complete the course planning form and submit to IPENG.

Credit/No Credit vs. Graded Option for Study Abroad

For Study Abroad, you have the option of selecting "credit/no credit" or "graded" when you fill out the course planning form prior to taking the course. If you select "graded," then the course grade can count toward your GPA. You have until the halfway point of the school term to change that decision and must file the appropriate paperwork with IPENG.

Gen Ed/Social Sciences/Humanities courses taken for credit/no credit can be counted for degree credit. This is an exception made for Study Abroad.

Semester Coop/Internship Work Experience

Work experience is strongly encouraged for Bioengineering majors, particularly if you plan to enter the workforce after obtaining your undergraduate degree. Employers typically do not hire freshmen for the summer. However, there have been exceptions, and freshmen should attend career fairs to gain valuable experience interacting with potential employers.

Sign up in the Engineering Career Services (ECS) Office in 3270 DCL to take advantage of the many services provided to students, including on-campus interviews, access to online job search resources, online resume posting, and resume and interviewing workshops.


Many Bioengineering students participate in research to enhance their academic experience. Students should find a faculty or researcher to work with who is engaged in projects of mutual interest. To gain credit for the research experience, the student needs to log in and submit a request at